Wednesday, October 20, 2010
More Finished Projects!
If I haven't mentioned it before, let me mention now - when you're loading a lot of beads, a bead spinner is a good tool to have. I got mine on sale at Hobby Lobby a few years ago, and it's more than earned its keep! This version of Martha's bracelet called for 260 beads, and mine were strung in just a few minutes using the bead spinner. The thread, by the way, is Lizbeth #127 (Butterfly Breeze); the beads actually came with the bead spinner, and I'd never even opened them. I thought they complemented the thread well, so I decided to use them.
Moving on. I tend to like small projects, like bookmarks and bracelets, because they're usually pretty quick to make. I have done a couple of doilies, though - here's one of them. It's called "Springtime," and it's in The Tatter's Treasure Chest edited by Waldrop. It's a Dover book, and full of patterns from the 1930s and 1940s.
I found, in making it, that joining the side picots on round 3 was not going to work for me - it made the doily cup. Not joining them allows it to lay flat. I also am not crazy about cutting and tying after every round, so I climbed out of rounds 1 and 2 with split chains. I climbed into rounds 2, 3, and 4 with split rings. I didn't know how to climb into a round with a split chain, though, so I ended round 4 with cut, tie, hide ends, and started fresh on round 5. Maybe it would work to do half the chain to climb into the round, and end with half a chain. Something to ponder!